Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Reflections of Russia
Mission Trip Oct 9-23, 2006
This article is long. Please forgive me. At first it will seem very dark, but please take the time to read through because it ends in hope and the divine providence of God’s hand at work! Thank you for your prayers and support. I love each of you more because of this trip! Tara

It has taken me nearly six days before I am able to put to pen my impressions from Russia. On the morning I arrived home, I found myself praying to God and asking Him to show me how to de-bone this chicken I call my Russia mission trip. How do I sort through the bones to pull away the meat of truth that must be conveyed? Father, help me I cry! People keep asking me, “How was it?” The first five days brought tears. I don’t even know if I can express why.

While in Russia my thoughts pondered so many truths: “sin is sin,” “people are people,” beauty is beauty,” and “the truth will set you free!” I realize as we traveled about that the more I see the more things are the same as in America. On the surface there is a difference but for the most part everything on the inside is the same. Each of us, God’s creation, longs for a beautiful today or tomorrow full of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. History tells us a story about Russia that stirs up strong emotions far and wide, yet as I ponder my own nations roots we too have a our triumphs and griefs, as well as shame.

I will post more on my reflections over a period of time.

No comments: