Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Upon returning from a family trip I walked into our family room to find Mikayla wrapped up in an old yellow quilt my Dad & Step Mom Kay gave us to protect Mikayla’s guitar while we drove home across several states. The look on Mikayla’s face said it all. Her eyes were closed tight shutting off tears beckoning to cascade down her face while her hands squeezed the edges of the quilt around her body tightly enclosing her in a blanket of remembrance.
“Honey, are you wrapped up in that old blanket because it reminds you of Grandma and Grandpa?”
“Mmhm!”
“Let me tell you a little more about this quilt. When I was a little girl and I visited Grandpa and Grandma. This was Aunt Nikki’s quilt. I have a great memories stored under this yellow and orange floral print quilt! Aunt Nikki and I used to talk and giggle all night or at least until Grandpa and Grandma would yell out, ‘GIRLS GO TO SLEEP!”
Mikayla and I sat for a moment basking in the gift of memory. Our capacity to remember is a gift. Anyone who has a loved one with Alzheimer’s will agree wholeheartedly with this truth. Remembrance plays a very important role in our walk with Christ. I have been reflecting upon the importance that I must weave a quilt threaded with the cord of remembrance in my life so that my worship may be complete.
What about you? How has remembering loved ones comforted you? How has remembering spiritual stepping stones strengthened you? Have you found remembering to be a gift to wrap up in like a warm quilt?
Excerpt: Embracing His Vision, Week 11

No comments: