Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I once read that in Israel travelers kept a camel they called the committed camel that followed behind their caravan. They packed the saddles so uniquely that it stacked up high upon the camels back. Amazingly, they could literally roll the packed saddle off the camel if needed. Camels carrying heavy loads over long distances that got too tired to continue on were known to buckle at the knees and lay down. This stopped the entire caravan! Imagine leaving your supplies and precious camel behind! When this occurred they brought forward the committed camel and they rolled over the heavy load onto this fresh rested camel! Once the load was lifted the tired camel would rise up and begin walking again allowing the entire envoy to carry on in their journey!

Have you ever felt so loaded that you could not continue in carrying your load? Have you ever felt like the caravan surrounding you is leaving you behind because you are too tired to carry the load you bear? What would you say if I told you that you too have a committed camel in your life? King David understood this concept of rolling over onto God that which burdened him.

In fact, in Psalm 37:5, David suggests to us that if we commit our way to God—literally roll over onto God that heavy saddle we are carrying upon our backs that God will carry it. The hard part for me is that means I must give God my reputation, my journey, and my settled course in life.

Interestingly, this is not a one time event. Just as the camels pack on their back will change depending on the length of the journey or the purpose the burden will alter and the weight change. Committing to God and rolling over onto Him means that I must do this daily and sometimes moment by moment. We must ask ourselves daily, “Have I rolled it over to the committed camel?” Sometimes that is easier said than done!

Think about this for a moment… If I am committing my way to God and allowing Him to carry the load then He must be pleased to carry it. Check out what David later says in Psalm 37:23, “If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.”

We must ask ourselves, “Can I walk my journey without stumbling when I carry a heavy load?” I don’t know about you, but I sure can’t! God promises that when He delights in our way then He alone makes our steps firm! In fact, we might still stumble, but He will not let us fall!

I am going to ask you a personal question I ask myself often. Have you truly rolled over your load onto the committed camel? This is simply done through soul talk! Take a moment to visualize if you must you rolling it over onto the Father! Tell Him what is burdening you. Maybe today, you are overwhelmed like I was as I prepared this for a speaking engagement! You know what I had to do? I rolled over! It is so worth it!

Challenge: Our challenge is to not to carry the load!

I like how the Message Bible translation states it.

Open up before GOD, keep nothing back; he'll do whatever needs to be done.
Psalm 37:5/The Message

No comments: