Thursday, August 14, 2008

David went to Nob, to Ahimelech the priest. Ahimelech trembled when he met him, and asked, "Why are you alone? Why is no one with you?" 1 Samuel 21:1

The conversation began simply. I saw her walking along the path as she headed toward the lake, her ten-year-old face deep in thought. The rule at camp is no one is ever to be alone. We must go in twos. I quickly joined her since she belonged to my family group. “What ya doing?”

“I just left the store. Did you know I can buy a Bible for $1.00? They are used Bibles and they sale them for a small donation. I am going to buy myself a Bible.”

“Do you not have a Bible?”

She replied, “Yes, we do at home, but I want one for me now.” Her big brown eyes melted my heart. Immediately, I began to devise a way to get her a Bible before she could buy it herself. Then I felt the familiar tug from the One I love so much. “ASK HER IF SHE HAS EVER ASKED JESUS TO BE HER SAVIOR!” I used to not listen to His voice or even argue when He told me to do this, but not anymore. I honestly do not know when HE made that change happen within me. I simply asked, “Have you ever come to a place in your life where you personally have asked Jesus to be your personal Savior?”

She looked up at me with a thoughtful expression. “No!” She tilted her head pausing to think. “I have asked to be forgiven of specific sins a lot, but I have never asked Jesus to be my Savior.” Honestly, her response stunned me. Obviously, the LORD was moving in her life. I just happened to walk into a moment of HIS calling out simply because of a rule that states no one is allowed to walk alone. “Do you know what a sin is?”

“Yes, it is when I do bad things.”
“Who are they against?” I asked.
“God.” She replied.

At this moment, we entered the lake front area. LORD, this will the test, I am going to sit down at that picnic table. If she is serious, she will remain to continue the conversation. I lifted my leg over the bench and sat down as she quietly joined me at the wooden table. We watched for a moment as one brave soul flew through the air as another blobbed them off the big blob on the lake. I gazed over at her and said, “Each of us will have a time in our lives that we must make a choice. We will either choose to accept the free gift of salvation from God or not.” Earlier as we walked I had picked up a rock off the road. “Do you see this rock?”

“Yes.”

“Well, it is as if GOD is saying to each of us. This rock is my gift to you. You can either accept it or reject it. The rock is His Son Jesus.” I held out my hand to her and she reached out to pick the rock up.

“I want to do that!”

“All you have to do is pray. Just tell Jesus what you just told me.”

We bowed our heads and she prayed on her own. “Jesus, will You be my Savior? Please increase my faith in You. Help me to read my Bible and be a good friend…” She paused for a long moment, obviously not knowing what else to say, so I said, “In Jesus’ Name” and we both said, “Amen!”

Before our leadership meeting I ran into the store and asked about the Bibles. The older women were so excited to join in the celebration of our new sister in the faith. We carefully went through each donated Bible to pick just the right one. I wrote her a note reminding her of the conversation to best of my ability in the front of the Bible. I dated it and signed it. Praying as I wrote asking the Father to speak mightily to her through it. At dinner, I laid it in her lap as she ate. I kissed her on the head and walked away basking in a rule that said, no one must ever be alone!

No comments: