Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lately, I am hearing a phrase in various Christian environments and it seems to bother me. I even had someone pray it over me recently. "The Lord has no expectation upon you." What does this mean? How can we say this? As I reflect upon the Word of God, I observe countless commands. Does not a command connate an expectation? How is it that we can tell others that the Lord has no expectation upon them when we are expected to read our Bible, pray, seek fellowship, and serve? No expectations... such a subtle and enticing thought. The implication is rest and less stress. Who does not want these? Yet, James tells us clearly that faith without out works is dead. What good is knowledge if it is not acted upon? Knowledge blesses and equips for action. I am reminded of Jesus saying on a regular basis, "He who has ears let him hear..." Quite simply Jesus says, "Listen!" But this is not a listening to just hear. This type of listening responds. It is a call to action. To say the Lord has no expectation upon us challenges my theology. Does it challenge yours too? Stretch my mind and dialogue with me.

2 comments:

T-Rae said...

When I hear this, I think of those who work "for" Christ instead of working "in" Christ, if that makes any sense. I say that because that used to be me. Striving to do things to get closer to my Savior, to be a "good Christian" etc. BUT when I realized it is Christ IN me who does the works, I was freed...the joy of my salvation was renewed!! My job is to abide in Christ and be obedient to Him. I think if a person is TRULY abiding in Christ and not just seeking biblical knowledge that they will be spurred to action because we were created for good works! (Oh how I wish I was one of those who could recall the "addresses" for verses!!!) The problem is when we try to manifest the good works on our own, which is a trap many believers fall in because our nature is to be self-sufficient. So the trend lately has been to swing the pendulum away from "Good Christians do this and this and don't do that and that" to "God has no expectations." Maybe we'll find the happy-medium someday...

Tara Rye said...

T-rae... Well said! AMEN! O GOD help all of us to find the happy medium. The kind that denotes true rest! Letting go of our striving, but also realizing we have a responsibility! Help us to "BE" as YOU the GREAT I AM have called us to be! In Jesus' Name, AMEN!
Hugs onya T-rae!