Saturday, November 27, 2010


Fail Proof Love

Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13:8

A dear friend, worried that she had offended me, sent me a short email stating that she was concerned as such. Wanting to assure her, I immediately typed a quick response, “Love takes no offense!” I meant it, too. I had no offense with her, but… just as I finished typing the exclamation point I felt that gentle tug in my heart. “Tara, you took offense when Greg raised his eyebrow at you just five minutes earlier!” “UGH!” The LORD caught me! I did take offense when my husband raised his eyebrow at me. This little incident caused a mental check to take place in my spirit. If I truly believe that love does not take offense then have I really loved? I will be honest with you. If someone will offend me, it will be my husband Greg. The very one I have committed my life to love, honor and obey is the very one that can cause me to move over the edge of offense. It is with him that I find this test of love most challenging. It isn’t with the stranger or even friend. It is with the one I interact the most intimately. When Jesus said, “Love your neighbor as yourself…” in my case I know He meant my spouse.

Love is an amazing thing. Love is patient. Love is kind. It is not jealous or rude. It keeps no record of wrong. Wait… I do that, too! God help me to love! Imagine what might happen if we chose to keep no record of wrongs and take no offense. What if we chose to not be… jealous, rude, self-seeking or proud? What if we chose just for today to protect, trust, hope, and persevere? This love is fail proof!

Which action of love is hardest for you?

Father, I choose to love! Help me to love as You love with a love that never fails. In Jesus’ Name, AMEN!

No comments: