Tuesday, April 05, 2011


I See You!

The first time I saw her I felt the need to draw near to her. In every aspect of her body language and words, I felt her pain. She symbolically represented the reason I set up the event for Bert VanderMark of Visual Parables to come to the Open Door Mission. Bert simply talks through a passage of scripture with the group and then gives them canvases along with various media to create what God spoke to them through the passage. The time of teaching brings healing and revelation. After the Saturday morning teaching, I kept finding myself walking up behind her to see her art. One time, she looked up at me, so I asked her to tell me about her painting. She said, "I think it explains itself!" I responded as gracefully as I could, "I agree it is very clear to me, but I would rather hear from you what it means to you." She replied, "Well, everyone keeps talking about the wild flowers. Last night everyone painted wild flowers. They kept saying God has His eyes on the wild flowers. I don't think they understand what God is really saying in that passage." She lifted the paint brush and pointed to the picture and said, "These here are the true wild flowers. No one sees us! No one cares!" I felt sick in the pit of my stomach as I stared at an amazing painting created by a woman who had never painted a picture before in her life. Her picture depicted homeless people on the street with an incredible angel over looking them. I remembered that on Friday night at one point, I purposely whispered in her ear, "You are worthy." She didn't move for a minute after I said it. I remembered another drawing she did after the Friday night event when no one else was around. She drew a picture of a hypodermic needle with a person free floating inside. I said to her, "WOW! That sure symbolically says a lot!" She was a little upset that I saw her art that wasn't intended for anyone's eyes. However, it shouted the truth and made me love her even more. I knew instantly what she needed from me to meet Jesus. I looked down at her and said, "I see you! I see you!"

Loves... Who in your world right now needs to know that you see them? When Jesus looked out upon the crowds, He saw that they were harassed and hassled and had compassion upon them. When He saw the one that needed the healing touch of His Words or His hands, He stopped and gave to them what they needed. We can walk through the day and pass by thousands without truly seeing them, yet we are called to be just like Jesus. Can the people we pass honestly say we see them? When they can, they will know that God sees them, too!

Father, help us to see, to really see with Your eyes so that when someone looks into our faces that they see the love of Christ pouring out and know that You see them!

So she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, “You are a God of seeing,” for she said, “Truly here I have seen him who looks after me.” Genesis 16:13

No comments: