Monday, March 05, 2007

Every Monday morning I make the drive across town to the Open Door Mission to teach Bible Study to the ladies in the program. This morning as I entered the secured room that I teach in at the Lydia House my name was called over the loud speaker because I had a guest. Everyone’s ears perked up because volunteers very seldom have guests. I went out wondering who would come to find me here! To my delight a lady waited at the desk to enter the secured room. She did not live at the ODM, but heard about the program and one of the staff told her I was the teacher. She had me paged so she could get in the class. We greeted each other and shared simple pleasantries as I worked hard to remember her name. As we entered our area two ladies were having an animated discussion that was not pleasant for any of us in the room. My morning did not start off with women coming delighted to hear the word, but with struggles among women of God. As I knelt to pray I knew God had something special for us this day.

As I taught, I observed my new friend listening intently to the lesson about the costs of following Jesus. As I shared there are two ways to follow: the path or the person and how we cannot choose one. We must know the person to walk the path and we can’t walk the path without the person. I felt conviction move across the room. A “stillness” covered us. I knew someone needed the LORD, so as I ended my lesson I gave opportunity for anyone to come forward that might need to talk to me further about Jesus. I saw her waiting until all the others left and then slowly she approached me and said, “You know I have seen Him! Most don’t believe me when I say it, but I have seen Him!” I asked her to tell me about it. Slowly, she shared with me that He came to her house on the day her 11 year old daughter died in her arms. My heart stopped. I am begging God for compassion this year. His compassion welled up in me and I fell in love with my new friend.

As I listened to her talk I realized that she knew of HIM, but did not know HIM! So I asked, “If you were to die today, do you know you if you would go to heaven?”

“I don’t know!” she said.

“Would you like to have confidence of this?”

As tears slipped from her eyes she cried, “Yes!” A sweet sister handed me a tract to read through with her. We never finished the tract she knew what she needed, so we prayed.

Some moments are so Holy… this was a Holy moment. They are hard to explain or describe. I watched a sister go from living in the temporal to walking in the freedom of the Spiritual with Jesus Christ. As she bowed her head and prayed to receive Christ as her Savior I paused to reflect upon the marvelous ways God moves!

By the way… I will never forget her name! Please pray for my new sister in Christ! Out of respect to her I have withheld her name!

No comments: