Tuesday, January 29, 2008

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Psalm 23:5b



My dear sister Tanya led a lesson on sheep the other day and the LORD used her to remind me of a few truths I learned in seminary. Isn’t wonderful when the LORD reminds us! Did you know that sheep get tiny little bugs that love to crawl into their snouts and lay eggs? Yeah, I know it is graphic, but it is worth hearing. These little larvae hatch and worm their way into the sheep’s brain. This causes the sheep to go crazy. They will do anything to make it stop, including killing themselves by head banging.

Isn’t that the case with all of us when we allow sin to worm its way into our heads? Suddenly, we find ourselves not of sound mind. Yet, the Father intends us to live in His Spirit full of His power and love with a sound mind. As I pondered this thought it struck me… this is why I teach. I long to be the anointing oil that rubs the Word of God on the heads of people so they will be of sound mind. I personally cannot do this without HIS anointing on my head through His Word alive and active in me.

Do you struggle with an area in your life that you feel you are not of sound mind? Consider praying Psalm 23:5b over your life. Ask the Father to annoint your head with His oil to guard your mind against the bugs that pester you. Think about it, if a good shepherd will do this for his sheep how much more will the heavenly Father do it for His child.

Father, I ask You in the powerful Name of Jesus to annoint the head of those who read this blog with Your Word that too will become a cup that overflows with You because they are of sound mind in You. In Jesus' Name, AMEN!

No comments: