Monday, March 26, 2012

The Invitation

I fumbled through my fingers the dinner invitation I received from Jesus as I entered the banquet hall. I stood back not knowing where to sit. I had never sat at a Heavenly Host's table before. I did not know what to do. My heart raced as if I had just received the best Christmas gift ever. Me… an invited guest in Jesus’ home! He noticed my awkwardness and gracefully crossed the room to where I stood and said, "Tara, come sit right here by me." My cheeks flushed with a blush of surprise. My heart cried out, “Oh, Thank you Jesus.” He was so close to me I felt His body heat. What would He do if I reached over and touched His hand? I noticed the hair curling above His knuckles and the creases of His flesh. His veins were blue just like mine. I lifted my hand and touched my veins imagining the blood flow in my body and His. Remembering that His blood is why I am here. The table was set with simple elegance. The white linen tablecloth displayed bone white china bearing no distinguishing marks and crystal flutes holding our beverages. How can I eat with His Splendor before me? The Bread of Life is sitting beside me! Satisfaction filled my soul. I inhaled contentment, as holy bumps coursed up and down my spine. I glanced over my shoulder at Jesus picked up a crystal fork illuminating iridescent rainbows as He moved it around. He began to eat something off His plate that looked familiar to me, but I did not know what to call it. I did not want to offend Jesus by not eating His food, so I picked up my crystal fork and gingerly tasted a morsel. Mmmmmh… The tantalizing aroma splashed sweet and yes, a bit of spicy across my taste buds. My tongue savored the sweet and spicy as it penetrated my palate as never before. Do I dare? What will Jesus do if I reached over and took a bite off His plate? I raised my fork and swiftly snatched a bite of His food. Exquisite! Every taste bud in my mouth craved more. I could get enough of it, fast enough. I dived into my food tasting this and that and my plate never seemed to empty. I kept eating and eating just to taste the flavor of God's choice food. His manna from heaven that satisfies likes no other. I realized how I must look. I glanced at Jesus with a look of embarrassment. His eyes lit up as His face crinkled into a smile that took my breath away. He said, "Go on Tara, and eat more. My table is always set for you. You may come and dine with me anytime. Eat and find contentment. Eat and be satisfied. Drink and thirst no more. Enjoy my child. It is all yours." My eyes traveled the expanse of the table filled abundantly with a feast. My heart sunk and my shoulders slumped as sobs caught in my throat. I sit here eating satisfaction and did not notice, His table set with many places displayed name cards waiting for recognition for someone to come, sit and dine. My hands flew to my face as I wept. How many people know Him, yet they will not come and dine with Him to take hold of what He had laid out for them? How many people are too busy searching for satisfaction and fulfillment when the table has already been set with the fragrant aroma of Heaven's satisfying manna? Slowly, I lowered my hands from my face, as I turned and looked at the Lord and asked Him, "Jesus, who do you want me to bring with me the next time I come?" Jesus said, "Listen closely and I'll tell you with each person you meet." I can’t wait because it is you! When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty. Jeremiah 15:16 Simply, Tara

No comments: