Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Sufficiency

Over several days, I had several difficult things shared with me. "I have an inoperable brain tumor." "My husband is seeing another woman." "My grandson is going to India to join a cult." As I listened to these requests, I felt so inadequate to answer, much less know how to pray for fear that I might ask amiss. I know that I am not sufficient and my words will definitely fall short. This is when I practice what I know. I know that God is sufficient in all things and I remind myself that the enemy of God is out to destroy the Character and Word of God. How can I bring the Character of God and the Word of God into these circumstances when I pray? When I focus on the Character of God and the Word of God, I find that, it reminds us of God's sufficiency. Suddenly, what seems impossible becomes a moment for faith building in both of us. For my friend with the inoperable brain tumor, I called upon God our healer, sustainer, strength, and help in time of need. For the wayward husband, I called upon God our reconciler, redeemer, Groom, and lover of my soul. For the grandson following a cult, I called upon God as Truth, righteousness, deliverer and router of enemies. Suddenly, both of us find that our heads are lifted in the circumstances as the shield of God's Character and Word surrounds us. This is not a magical formula or performance standard. It is about drawing near to God. The Father promises that if we draw near to Him; He will draw near to us (James 4:8). What better way to draw near to God than to use His Character and His Word as a reminder as I pray! What circumstances need the Character of God or the Word of God prayed into them today in your life? What name of God might you pray? What scripture can you hold onto? Father, YOU are sufficient. Help us to hold to Your sufficiency through Your Character and Your Word. In Jesus' Name, AMEN! Psalm 3:3-4 (HCSB) 3 But You, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, and the One who lifts up my head. 4 I cry aloud to the LORD, and He answers me from His holy mountain.Selah Simply, Tara

No comments: