Wednesday, July 09, 2008




The Joy of the LORD is my strength and HE washes feet too! More from Guatemala. Jesus came in strength, not physical strength, but spiritual strength.

JOY! Choose joy! What most will not know as they read this blog is that Rhonda on our team was diagnosed with stage two breast cancer two weeks before our trip. The doctors gave her freedom to go and she is scheduled for a lumpectomy on July 30. I must share how Jesus met me through Rhonda. Well... actually I think everyone who met Rhonda or is near Rhonda meets Jesus regularly.

What is joy? I believe it is joining Jesus in our heart even when we do not understand or like what we know, see, or experience. This is not self denial or stuffing of thoughts or feelings, but realizing that the only way you can get through the circumstances is to release to HIM and then let go. Rhonda is my hero! She lived JOY for us in Guatemala! I want to take the time to share true JOY through RHONDA!

Two words describe my fun memories of Rhonda... YES and I SAID FUN! Because with Rhonda everything is fun! My two words are tears and singing. Well, maybe I have more than two how about dancing? Yeah, I will start with dancing. As we were buidling the house for Juana and her family music on the radio played with an upbeat Latin American tune. Rhonda could not contain the joy within her and grabbed Mikayla's hand and started dancing on the concrete floor we built two days earlier. I decided to join in and grabbed the daughters hand to dance with her while Gina grabbed another to dance. Our dear missionary Chris informed us that dancing is perceived as a sin. OOOPS! We were uhm-- shocked! It is hard to contain JOY that bubbles out of someone. I told Rhonda not to worry. He did not say anything when she danced! It was when I got out there! So Rhonda danced in the spirit I must have danced in the flesh! Please laugh out loud! No harm was made! The family was laughing too! Such is the life of a missionary... learning what is acceptable and not!

I do not know how many mornings we awoke to love notes posted on our doors from Rhonda. A scripture here, a word of encouragement there! It was exciting to see what she might do to make someone else feel special. Mikayla awoke with balloons all over her door on her birthday. What Mikayla does not know is that this was the second morning balloons were placed on her door. Rhonda did it twice because she did it one day early. On the morning we were to leave, Mikayla and Tiffany followed in the footsteps of Rhonda. They stayed up late the night before and wrote a sweet note with a scripture for each team member. Proof positive that who you hang out with impacts how you behave. We all need to choose Rhonda's to hang out with so we can be more like them. One thing is for certain, I am humbled my daughter spent significant time with the entire team!

One night Rhonda set up a night of feet washing so we might bless one another. She invited everyone back to her and Steve's room. Yes, we crammed 18 people into their hotel room. She brought the supplies for us to scrub, wash and lotion feet. We set up two chairs and began with the daughters washing their daddies feet. Without anyone speaking different people gathered others and before we knew it all feet in the room were washed. Both the young and old. As the feet were washed we read the Bible. People chose favorite verses and we read and prayed allowed. Sweetness fell on the room as well as pure joy. The HOLY SPIRIT filled us up and Jesus smiled as we read HIS word and ministered to each others very tired feet. On this particular day we worked in very exhausting heat to paint a house, lay another concrete foundation and we did something incredible, but I will tell you those two stories in the next blog! Anyhow, everyone needed a little TLC for their weary feet and minds. Blessed indeed! Why? Rhonda chose to minister to others instead of focusing on her self. She chose JOY!

As the evening ended, we gathered Rhonda, Steve and Carley in a circle and we prayed. O my... the prayers prayed while we were in Guatemala. Well... when we get to heaven you will need to go and watch the DVD! The power of prayer is amazing. Imparticular Chris' prayers blessed our team. It seems we were trying to find ways to get him to pray! As Robbie says, It does not matter that I do not understand him when he prays in spanish I am blessed. As he prayed over Rhonda I experienced something I never experienced before. I will confess something. I scratched behind my ear on the first day and it became terribly infected... no grossly infected. EICK! Such is the life of serving with dirty fingers! WASH YOUR HANDS! It was bad enough we tried to go to a doctor on Saturday to have it lanced. He was gone so a pharmacist made ugly faces at my wound and sold us some meds! Anyhow, while Chris prayed over Rhonda I felt three sharp pains in my wound. IT was extremly painful and hard to turn my head because of the infection, but after he prayed it stopped. Gina and I went to our room and I showed her my wound. It broke open! A holy lancing occured. THe next morning all pain was gone. The wound was still there, but the infection was releasing. Because of Rhonda the LORD allowed me to experience a second hand healing. Don't think I am crazy, Gina, my roomie will testify how nasty it was and then changed. We await with great expectations in how the LORD will accomplish HIS healing in Rhonda.

On our last day as we drove home from the lake Rhonda, Cindy, Molly and I sang the whole two hours back. Poor Deb in the back, we kept her from sleeping! Robbie chilled out with her head phones and Jim and Chris were in the front joining in periodically. Chris gets easily drastracted and takes his hands off the wheels while driving. All of us fell in love with his crazy antitics. As I think of the Joy of the LORD is my strength, I see Rhonda lifting her right foot up in the van to the Hokey Pokey or wiggling her shoulders to the beat of another song. Praise continously poured out of her lips.

I started calling her my wonder and awe girl. She is so filled with the wonder and awe of GOD that I am blessed to just be near her. Jesus came to me through Rhonda with silent tears as we prayed, joyful singing all through out the day, and continously saying, "I AM SO BLESSED!" Rhonda... we are the blessed ones! We were allowed the privilege to reap the blessing of JESUS upon you!





Help me Rhonda, Help help me Rhonda!... Help me Rhonda yeah... get joy in my heart!

No comments: