Friday, July 04, 2008


July 4, 2008

I think I have messed up on my days on this blog site... one thing is for certain while on a mission trip time and dates are of no importance.

Happy Fourth... truly the fourth. We finished the house we started today. Wow! Jesus the carpenter has soar shoulders tonight. Jim, Chris, Rick, Steve, and Saul worked non stop until 2:30 without a break to eat or anything. All the girls helped, but we did not work as they did.

The mother of the home greeted us with an embroidery she made for each of us. YES, for two days straight she sewed to create for each family a banner that she personally hand quilted. Jesus sewed.


At one point, Mikayla became very sick to her stomach and I needed to take her to the van to lay down. I must confess... I sat there for a brief moment in complete selfishness. I do not want to sit in the van while every one else enjoys the mission trip serving. AS if serving my daughter is not a mission trip. Quickly I realized my littleness and confessed. I then took out a piece of paper and began to pray. As i prayed for Mikaylas healing, the team building, and then for the salvation of the community a little boy came to the window asking for a dulce. I told him, solamente uno... only one. I went back to praying then a little girl came to the window. Una dulce. Solamente uno. After she left I decided that the next child must receive a witness before any candy goes out the window. In pops the little guy from early looking with sad little doe eyes as if I robbed him by only giving him one. I talked with him the best I could with my broken preschooler spanish. I asked him if I might read to him about JEsus and he said yes. GOD allowed this selfish person to sit in a bus while her daughter slept to read a spanish tract to a twelve year boy. He listened and did not leave even when his friends made fun of him through through the other window. Suddenly, a cloud burst over us and rain fell hard. He said, Adios as he reached for the tract. He did not leave until I finished reading how to receive Christ as Savior. JEsus met me in my selfishness. HOW can I be so blessed!

We now sit in a dining hall in Santa Lucia waiting to paint tomorrow. AS we arrived tonight we saw a luscious pool resting under palm trees. Tempting indeed. We put our feet in as we waited two hours for our clothes to arrive grieving no bathing suits. I sent Ben to ask if we might swim in our clothes and they said yes. I was the first to dive in. YES... I did. Soon Courtney and Jim joined me. YES... JEsus even swims!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I praise GOD for the work He's doing through each of you. I can't wait to hear the intimate details of everyone's experience there.
God, I pray you continue to renew and refresh and use each of the members of this team to finish the work that you've called them to in GT. In Jesus' name, AMEN.
I love you guys!

Tara Rye said...

Tanya,
I love you and I can't wait for you to hear from Gina and Robbie. It was incredible experiencing Guatemala through their eyes. Just like it was through your eyes! I love you sis! Tara